Friday 12 December 2014

Exe 4.6: Visual Distortion


Brief:
This exercise is designed to push you through a deliberate process of stylisation. Tackle it with an open mind and be prepared to adapt or adopt some of the approaches you discover.
Begin by drawing a cat or dog. Use reference from any source – life, photos or images from the internet. Draw the animal in a way that makes it ‘real’. Remember to describe some aspect of its appearance or personality.
Do a second drawing using no more than five lines. These lines can join up with each other and overlap or can be less connected; they can be straight or fluid.
Now make a collage from bits cut from a magazines and printouts. Let the texture of a tree be the fur for example. Have fun introducing surreal elements. Deliberately distort. How far can you bend reality?
Produce a drawn version (not a tracing) of your collage. When drawing, edit and select from the collage being aware of the properties you want to create a strong character. Review the distorted version and decide how you can refine the image. 

I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed this exercise! Partly because I am a tad obsessed with dogs and it gave me and excuse to draw them! But also, I found that it really stretched me to see an image quite differently and I hope to try use this method of collage and single line drawing and intentional distortion more often because I find it brings out the personality of characters and naturally adds a sense of humour to the image. 



Collage version sketch above
Ink version of the collage, done with dip pen.

Final image black and white

final image

I didn't quite get the effect that I wanted from the painted colour version but I had fun throughout the whole process!







No comments:

Post a Comment