Wednesday 3 December 2014

Exe 4.1: Exploring tools and materials

It was an eye opening experience exploring illustrators and their media. From Wonderful illustrators like Isabelle Arsenault and her use of coloured pencils; to editorial artists like Thea Brown who use pencils to create portraits that are filled with emotion and texture; to watercolours by wonderful artists like Sir Quentin Blake; to the magical work of acrylic artist and mixed media artist, Brian Wildsmith; to the challenging, thought-provoking images created through the process of printmaking by Edel Rodrigues and Daniel Pudles; to the beautiful collage art of Michael Haake and Agata Dudek; to digital artists like Lo Cole and Christ Haughton and to the mixed media artwork of Marion Duchars. 
        
       Here is a taster of some of the artists and their methods that I have discovered: 

Isabelle Arsenault
                                  

I explored the editoral illustrations of Daniel Puddles and his use of woodcuts:
Daniel Pudles is a genius with his woodcuts. His images are effective not only because of his reductive method of printing and his wonderful way of limiting his colour palette so effectively. 
 

I looked at wonderful examples of Collage from Martin Haake: 


Looking at the wonderful Acrylic paintings by Olaf Hajek with his layering and bright colour pallet has challenged me to try acrylic paints as I have a tendency to stick to Gouache.
 

 With all of these wonderful illustrators explored, I decided to try my hand at redoing one of the poster designs that I did for assignment 3 in the style of Daniel Pudles and his woodcutting technique:
A) 
B.)  C.) 

D.)  E.) 


I learnt a lot doing woodcuts for the 1st time. In terms of the process I tried to get the texture of the wood to add to the images the way that Daniel Pudles does, but I didn't manage to achieve this effect at all. I can only put it down to lack of experience and thus the need for practise! I also think that I may need to re-look at the actual wood that I used because it may have not been the quality of wood needed to allow for the woody texture to become part of the image. As a result it meant that although the print was identifiable as a relief print, it really could have been lino or wood and it is difficult to differentiate.

I also made a number of other mistakes and learned a number of lessons creating the prints: 
1.) I needed to plan the prints before hand because the lack of planning resulted in a lack space for the rest of the type that needed to be included. 

2.) I tried to play around with a limited pallet but this didn't always work which is evident in options (C.) and (D.) above.

3.) The other thing I found that was that the prints completed on the blue paper in white i.e : (B.) and (E.) unfortunately lost their colour when scanned but were better when they were photographed. The purple in the text in image (C.) just doesn't work 


In spite of this, I think that the prints are a step forward from the original design. I think the prints that work the most successfully are the green print (A) and white and turquoise point  (B)  







No comments:

Post a Comment