Friday 12 December 2014

Exe: 4.5: Tattoo based on the word 'mum'

Brief: 
A friend has asked you to design a tattoo for them based on the word Mum. He would also like you to make it into a greeting card that he can send his mother. (What a good idea for Mother’s Day). 

I struggled with this exercise because I found myself vetting STUCK! I researched the history of the art of tattoos and their meanings in different cultures. Then I tried to think of what kind of male friend would request such a tattoo which got my thoughts into a little bit of a quandary! This on top of the fact that it needed to then be turned into a mothers day card also seemed to push me further into quicksand! I grappled with deciding whether the tattoo should include typography or symbols; whether it should be masculine or whether that mattered?; how not to make it a stereotypical tattoo design..... so I stopped thinking about it altogether and returned last minute! 

Not sure if this was the entirely best approach but it meant that I did finally actually come up with something!! 


I will however only be able to put the images of the tattoo on when I have my work returned because I unfortunately forgot to take any pictures! SO until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment