Friday 5 December 2014

Exe 4.2: Museum posters


Brief: You have been asked to produce three illustrations to be used as part of a series of A3
posters to publicise the museum to the following audiences:
Child aged 5–9                            Teenager (13–16)                              General adult audience 

After quite a bit of Ummmmming and arrhing about which museum to choose I decided on Kelvin Grove in Glasgow, after visiting my sister. It truly is an extraordinary museum and art gallery in one and one of the most visited museums in Europe I soon found out. 


I was a little torn between making the posters a recognisable 'family' but decided to go with it because I just felt that the more repetition or recognisable the image in any advertising capacity, the more familiar the advert becomes and human nature has a tendency to be attracted to things that are familiar in some way. 

After making this decision I started grappling with how to put this into practice! I had recently been to the VERY inspiring exhibition of Matisse's cut-outs at the Tate, and decided to use his influence to inspire the posters. 

I found the idea for the children's poster came the most easily because Kelvin grove has a number of examples of taxidermy animals and most famously it houses the Elephant " Sir Roger" and dinosaur skeletons. 
 


The teenager took more effort and time whereas I found choosing an artefact to appeal to teenagers the most tricky. I found myself choosing articles that were perhaps more stereotypically gender specific and so finally decided on masks as something a little more neutral. I think it helped that earlier I had played around personalising some masks in my sketchbook just playing around so this helped formulate the final idea. 



The adult poster again was a little more tricky and so I decided to go with an artefact that symbolised that the museum is intact also an art gallery and houses some beautiful and prominent artwork from the Glasgow boys to Dali. I settled on doing a 'matisse-like-stylised version of The Dali painting that hangs in Kelvin Grove called: "The Christ of St John of the Cross"

I then got down to working out the colour scheme, doing some roughs and start cutting. 
1. Kids poster: prep and colour prep


Final Kid's poster
2.) Teen poster prep and colour ideas:






Teen Poster Final

3.) Adult poster:

           
Adult poster final
The family of posters:
                                             
  

Do they work? 
I actually really enjoyed the process of using cut-outs! It forced me to focus on shape and colour and stylise my images. The teenage poster was a PAIN to cut-out but apart from that I think it works well as an eye catching poster.  The adult poster is probably the most controversial and perhaps I needed to reference Dali in the poster but I was cognisant of making the poster to busy. This poster is inspired almost directly by an artwork by Henri Matisse and so I'm not sure if this confuses things as he is one artist who is not actually exhibited at Kelvin Grove....apart from the controversy I think the colours work well and I feel like using Matisse's style helped me learn a little more about colour and how colours influence each other when placed next to each other etc. 
I enjoyed making the kids poster the most because it was one of this things where both the idea and the making seemed to flow easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment