Wednesday 11 March 2015

Exe 5.5: Packaging

Brief: Produce a series of illustrations for packaging to be used for a new range of organic biscuits for children. There are three varieties in the range Raisin, Choc Chip and Ginger biscuits. 
The client specifically wants three illustrations featuring extinct animals interacting in some fun way with a biscuit to be used on the boxes. The drawings should be in full colour, and the client would like the colours to reflect the ‘flavour’ of the biscuit.
Go to the shops and research the market. How will you stand out amongst the others? 

I started by looking at packaging for children’s sweets and biscuits in my local supermarket as well as in the ‘organic’ shop. From looking at the packaging that is currently produced, most of it seems to be aimed at the child rather then their parents so I decided to follow suit. Many also had a cut out/see though area where one could see the food inside ie: sweets or biscuits and I think this is effective therefore hoped to also do this.
 



Regarding the drawings themselves, I did far less research/preparatory drawings then usual…and less then I should have perhaps but of course looked up what dinosaurs looked like. I started with Tyrannosaurus and then basically looked for a dinosaur beginning with 'd' and then one beginning with 'f':
Tyrannosaurus


Diplodocus



Fukuisaurus








I basically just launched in...mmmmmmm.......This wasn’t intentional by any means, but basically I decided to do a preparatory drawing of a tyrannosaurus using sharpie marker pens and basically quite liked the image and felt it suited the brief especially in the felt tips because of the vibrant colours and the flat colour. So I decided to use the image and play around with ideas for making a final image from it. I then worked out two other characters in the same style. 
 

First/final image of Tyrannosaurus

I did pencil preparations for the other 2 dinosaurs( ie: raisin and choc-chip) so they looked stylistically similar to the tyrannosaurus image.
What it did mean was that I stopped there at my 1st drawing. Of course I had every intention to return and try at least one other version but time took over and well, I ran out of it! So I stuck with the felt tip dinos.
I did research the Diplodocus and the Fukuisaurus a little more. The choice of these two dinosaurs was largely down to an alphabet search of dinosaurs so that I could use alliteration in the heading of the biscuits. And therefore diplodocus delight emerged and Fukuisaurus feast emerged.
Final Diplodocus


final Fukuisaurus


The idea for all images is that the gap between the leaves is cut out and covered with clear celophane so that the actual biscuits can show through the gap.

I did a basic (half) box template just to demonstrate how the image could be translated into a 3d object that a box is. I chose an irregular size for a box so that these dino biscuits would stand out. I should have gone the whole toot and done complete box template as I would include some kind of design aspect on the back of the box as well.

How well did it go?
I think the Tyrannosaurus and Diplodocus work the better out of the three images. I also did a bit of ‘market research’ with my work colleagues who have children and they commented that although they liked all three dinosaurs, the Fukuisaurus was far too close to sounding like a swear word which they confirmed kids would be the 1st to pick up on! How did I miss this?!? Needless to say I think they are right and supermarkets would most likely agree so I will probably have to redo choc chip anyway and change his name completely.

I found myself trying to consider what we have learnt up until now in terms of cropping the images and distorting them as well which I think adds humour to the characters.

I also enjoyed just launching in with the felt-tips and using this ‘prep’ drawing as the final image. This was a tricky decision because I have a tendency to overwork characters so this was quite refreshing. Using the felt tips as a medium was also enjoyable although their ink doesn’t always last as long as I hoped. I can see why a number of illustrators/graphic novelists use them for their final images.




No comments:

Post a Comment