Monday 9 March 2015

Exe 5.2: Editorial Illustration

Brief: After researching images in various newspaper articles, were were asked to create an image for articles on one of the following subjects: 


-How green is your food?                             -Finding your family history 
-The best restaurant in town.                        -The object of my desire 
-Loves me, loves me not                               -An interview with Melvin Bragg 
-Throwing your money away                        -Paris, still the best place on earth 

I decided to do an image for 'An interview with Melvin Bragg". 

I started by looking up interview articles online as well as images of Melvin Bragg. I decided on an article with the headline: Melvin Bragg, the nation's schoolmaster" which was an article from the Guardian online written in 2014 and the image I chose to start with was from another interview:
 

After reading the article I highlighted the points that stood out to me within the article and those were:
a.) His idea that self-improvement, education! education! education! and art and culture...are key to a happy and fulfilled life.
b.) He has is an accomplished author having written a number of novels as well as more then a dozen non-fiction books.
c.) He has been heavily, and continues to be very involved in the BBC. 
d.) He is very involved in politics especially as an ambassador for art and culture.

I started by doing a pencil drawing of the magazine/internet picture. In my mind I had hoped to try and create one pencil/mixed media version and then a second relief print but due to time constraints had to stick to the pencil/mixed media version.
Ahhhh mouth is NOT right!

  
1st experiment with collaging magazine textures for jacket.









Final Image 
I think the image works although I am not sure if the pencil disappears a little bit too much with the yellow background.

Unfortunately I struggled intently with adding the text to the image but will continue to try to do this to finalise the image.










No comments:

Post a Comment