Tuesday 10 March 2015

Exe 5.3: Travel Guides

Brief: For this brief we were asked to produce three illustrations for a series of books jackets, at the size of an existing travel guide, for the locations Istanbul, Helsinki and Milan.


Overall I found this exercise a little bit of a roller coaster. I was very excited at the start but as I started to overthink I became a bit overwhelmed. 
I started off by looking at general travel guides and was amazed at how most travel guides used photographs for their book jackets, some of which were lovely and for me others were dull.  


There was minority that were a little more quirky and interesting and these were generally illustrated! 

I started by downloading a chapter of the lonely planet travel guide for each city and looking at images online. For Istanbul I was able to look at old photographs from when I was there 3 years ago.
Helsinki: 
Istanbul:


Next I did a mood board for each city: (unfortunately I will have to add the mood boards for Helsinki and Istanbul later as I forgot to photograph them and they are currently with my tutor!)  


My main issue was trying to find a common thread for all three cities in order to ensure they fitted in a series. I also struggled with Milan particularly because, from an outsider’s perspective I always see Milan as a place people live rather then visit or if they do they go there to shop! Needless to say I had to do a lot of reading to change my perspective! I decided that the common link between the cities was the keen sense of design even though this design came in very different forms. As such I played around with doing a cut-out cover and then planned to do a painted or printed cover as well. Alas, again my plans proved too ambitious for the time I had and therefore was only able to produce the cut-out versions.
 

 


All three book covers.



No comments:

Post a Comment