Sunday 10 March 2013

1st of many!

It's a chilly, cloudy sunday morning and this is the 1st of many posts on my learning log blog! I can't even believe that I've managed to be so hi tech!

Jan 2014:
I have since returned to this original blog post and now decided to include a summary of Assignment one for continuity sake and to hopefully track my progress as I continue along the pathway to completing this Illustration 1 Module! I have therefore scanned in a few pages from my written learning log.

My learning log starts with a picture of Renoir in his twilight as it resonated with such passion and inspiration. It is a well known fact that despite developing severe debilitating arthritis, this great and masterful painter went to great lengths to continue doing what he loved, even if it meant painting with a paintbrush in his mouth at times. I started with this to remind me that although I feel a little old to be starting out on this career path when I am fearful and afraid of failure, I need only think of the perseverance of someone like Renoir.

The second page was the 1st mind map of 'me!" A preparatory step towards assignment one.

In the 1st exercise we had to research an older illustrator and I chose Edward Ardizzone. I then compared him to the contemporary illustrator, an all time favourite of mine, Oliver Jeffers.

We then had to do an illustration in each of their styles:





In the exercise 1.2 we had to choose a passage, highlight the salient points and create an illustration for it.



Finally for Assignment one we had to introduce ourselves to our tutor by means of a greeting card.


In a nutshell, I wanted my card to echo a conversation with a person I was meeting for the 1st time. To do this I chose to keep the front of the card in black and white i.e.: the superficial introductions and greetings of a first introductory conversation. I wanted to appear a little nervous as there is a large part of me that is still nervous regarding trying to side step into the creative industry. 
The second section I wanted to let out who I was i.e.: all my inspirations, loves and dislikes, and elements that make me me. Finally the third section of the card I wanted to illustrate what I hoped to gain from the course. I chose not to use text apart from what I wrote inside to my tutor. 

My main obstacle which I only realised when I had completed the final pieces, was that I had done the inside sections on a landscape format and the front cover on a portrait format. This resulted in a slight difficulty when printing and therefore the card became a concertina card to fit with the layout! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment