Thursday 20 June 2013

Exe 2.9: Using Black and white


For this exercise we had to produce a line drawing around one of the following words: 
Sea              Extraordinary           Building              Journey

Once the line drawing was completed we were to photocopy the drawing,  invert it and then cut out the black shapes from the inverted copy to collage into the white copy.

As I have recently moved nearby the sea....I chose SEA! 


I drew a pencil drawing from a photograph that I had taken while sat on Brighton beach.





1st step: Pencil drawing:
pencil drawing preparation

Step 2: Photocopy, Enlarge to A3 and Photocopy on 'invert function'
I must admit discovering the  invert function on a photocopy machine was a revelation for me! .....no wonder I feel behind the techno times! ; )
Inverted photocopy of pencil drawing

Darkened photocopy of pencil drawing. (left corner only....accidentally cut it off and of course I used the photocopy I did correctly!)
Step 3:Cut  out the black shapes from the inverted copy to collage the A3 photocopy.

Step 4: Place shapes on white copy                                                                                                                                                                
Cutting And placing 
Add caption

Banksy....genius!!!
close up of cut out shapes placed on white A3 photocopy

What I found was that the shapes I was cutting out initially were curved and when placed all together on the white background they gave the wrong energy to the image. The image originally had been one of a sea that was calm and tranquil and people were relaxed on the beach. The curved shapes almost spoke of an energetic ocean which in this scene was not the message I wanted to convey.



Step 5: STICK it down! 


Final image
Final inverted copy



Reflection: 


What did I do?
As shown above I used a very paper based method of cutting and pasting which although finikity and fiddly I enjoyed alot!

How well did it go?
I am not sure if I chose the right image to use this technique which is aimed at producing a graphic image at the end as we were using only black and white, without any shades of grey. 
I say this because although I think the figures work using this technique, the sea itself is not quite right.
I do however think that the West pier works, especially as an inverted image. I am not sure if I unintentionally cheated though as I kept the drawing for the outline for the pier predominantly and only cut out the base of the pier. If I did.....sorry!!! ; )

What did I learn?
This kind of technique I always find challenging but enjoyable. Instead of perseverating on tone or colour of the image, the focus is form and shape. I find myself looking a lot more at the negative space around an object when I am trying to focus on form. Working in black and white seems to focus me and I like the graphic style that this technique creates. 

I had a look at some successful black and white images:
  
Banksy....genius!!!



















Small batch coffee banksy-esque image outside their coffee shop.             Ted Hughes book is beautifully illustrated with black and white images

What and how would I do it differently?
I would change the sea...I needed to move on with other projects but I think I started getting impatient by the time I got to the sea in front of the pier and I think it needs more white bits cut into the black to give the lines a little more definition and to break up the black 'mass' in front of the pier. 

How does my current practice lead to me becoming better at a skill?
Doing images in black and white with the mindset that the final product is black and white or predominantly monotone changes the focus of the image making process. I certainly feel that it helps me focus on the form and perhaps see the whole image as a whole taking out the many small details that you are unable to capture in black and white. 

And I discovered the extent that one could use a photocopier! Who would have known!













No comments:

Post a Comment